The months of October, November, and December are all about celebrating. It is a wonderful season of spending time with family and participating in precious holiday traditions.
Three whole months of holidays! And the common denominator of it all?
Food. Lots and lots of food.
Everyone looks forward to the holiday fare. Chocolate and pumpkin breads and eggnog and casseroles and pies…the holidays are a continual stream of treats.
Boy, do our teeth take a beating during the holidays! Holiday recipes are loaded with sugar, which as you all know is the chief agent of cavity development. Consuming large amounts of sugar is also tied to the build-up of plaque and the development of periodontal disease. Nothing takes the joy out of the holidays like a painful cavity.
Here at Montgomery Dentistry, we have come up with a few ways to lessen the damage done to your teeth without lessening the fun of partaking in the smorgasbord.
5 Ways To Keep Your Teeth Healthy During The Holidays:
- 1. Lower the amount of sugar called for in a recipe and replace it with a few dashes of cinnamon for added flavor.
- 2. Instead of eating all of that candy, have your kids use it to decorate a gingerbread house.
- 3. Put a few oranges, apples, or pomegranates in your kids’ stockings. These will take up space that would have been filled with candy.
- 4. Replace sugary drinks like hot chocolate, apple cider, and eggnog with seasonal-flavored teas.
- 5. Brush and floss more frequently. After a particularly sugary snack or meal, immediately go brush and floss. This simple step goes a long way!
The staff of Montgomery Dentistry all wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Enjoy time with your family at the dinner table…and keep these five tips in the back of your mind. 🙂
And if you have any questions, concerns, or simply would like to schedule a check-up, please don’t hesitate to call!
Photo credit: here